I’ve done it. I’ve rewatched the entire first season, and the first three episodes of After Nightfall. Ahead of Season 2 Episode 4 airing tomorrow, here’s a detailed look at our suspects, questions that need to be answered, theories on what’s to come, and clues you may have missed!
- As the episode opens, we see Quintin, Dave and Ryan appear to be in the area near where Troy was found. Is this a coincidence, or could they have just dumped Troy’s body?
- In Kobie’s first appearance, Kobie is seen breaking into a car, but there’s no blood on his shirt. His timeline of that night is clearly unfinished.
- As Ursula reads the tarot cards, Viv’s reaction indicates she knows something has happened. Possibly she sees Troy for the first time? I freely admit to knowing literally nothing about tarot, but I’m sure the Tower card is significant.
- The pathologist says Troy was killed around five hours earlier, and he’d been moved. So that would put Dave’s gang in the right place at the right time.
- When Dave is on the phone, Leanne seems nervous. Dave only says “My nephew’s dead,” and Leanne responds ‘Troy?” Red flag or red herring? How did she immediately know it was Troy and not Quintin? However, it’s possible she knew Quintin was the one on the phone because he’s so deeply involved in Dave’s drug ring. Still, her reaction to Dave’s rage can’t be coincidental.
- Kobie is seen washing blood from his shirt. It can’t be Troy’s, because he was strangled. And it wasn’t on his shirt when we first saw him, so whoever’s it was, it happened after his first scene when he broke into the car. And my money’s on Wesley. He’s the only character who’s had an injury consistent with that sort of bleeding, and with the timeline of Troy’s funeral being in the same week, that adds up.
- Oscar is looking at the news sites of Troy’s death. Why would he be looking at these? He’s clearly concerned that his disturbing predatory behaviour will be discovered during any kind of investigation. Could there be more than just that? While it might be too obvious that Oscar did it, I’m not quite ready to strike him off the suspect list yet.
- The iPad needs to be explained at some point. As I said before, why would Troy leave it there if it was so important? There was a huge focus on the iPad in Season 1. If this adds up to nothing, I’m not going to be very happy. Troy led his father to it, so there has to be something there.
- Why does Isobel have a stash of money in her room and where did she get that much?
- Kobie wasn’t surprised that Troy was dead. Clearly, he knew already. Did he come across the body or did he have something to do with it? I’d like to think not because that would be far too simple an explanation. And if it did turn out to be Kobie, I think a lot of us would feel ripped off. There has to be a better twist than that.
- Oscar says the news site said Troy’s body was found without his bag or phone. This doesn’t seem like the kind of thing journalists are typically able to report, especially in the first few hours. How did he know this?
- Viv knows Oscar isn’t to be trusted. She might not be able to say much, but she’s very perceptive.
- What exactly happened between Nathan and Troy? Why did that relationship end? Was Nathan worried about his parents finding out? Still doesn’t seem enough reason to kill Troy over.
- When did Kobie get hold of Troy’s phone and why? Was it before or after he was dead? I’d assume after, since he obviously knew what happened.
- Troy was angry that Hayden gave the tip off about Dave’s drug circle. That explains why Hayden and Troy weren’t speaking that day. Probably found out while walking to school together.
- Why does Isobel film Ryan and Leanne? How did she know about the affair? But we may have an answer as to where she got her money from. I think she’s been swiping it from Dave. As she searches the shed, she says “Where’s the money gone?” And technical question, how on earth did they not see her filming them?
- Could Nathan’s parents have had something to do with Troy’s death? If they’re willing to pack their son off to a torture camp anything’s possible. Also, strangulation indicates that Troy’s murder may have been on impulse rather than premeditation. We’ve heard almost nothing from Pat Kelty so far, but she was very quick to say Nathan wasn’t involved.
- In the final scene, you can see Troy speak to Viv. I’m no lip reader but I can tell he uses the words “…killed me”. Viv’s reaction suggests that Troy may very well have just revealed his killer to her. But I’m a little skeptical, because she really can’t communicate sufficiently with anyone. If I was killed, came back as a ghost and could communicate with people, you better believe I’d be snitching first thing.
- It may open with a dream, but we can start piecing the timeline together. Troy and Hayden walked to school together that morning, where he and Hayden likely had an argument over Hayden’s tip off. That’s probably how Troy ended up alone, and likely not long before he was killed.
- If I had to take an educated guess, I’d say Isobel stole the phone to send the video to Dave, so he wouldn’t recognise the number. But why she did this at all is a complete mystery.
- Why did Kobie bury Troy’s phone where the body was found?
- Oscar’s horrified reaction to what he’s done to Faye indicates that he’s not as violent as we’ve been led to believe. But he certainly has a temper, and a tendency to lash out.
- Troy’s killer also killed Simon, who seemed to have some sort of corrupt arrangement with them. Also, we know the killer is old enough to drive.
- Zara is tough as nails, and carrying a lot of anger. Why is this?
- What’s Wesley’s role in the story and how did he get injured? I suspect Kobie, but I could be wrong.
- We know Viv lost a child because Colin mentioned it in episode 5. I think Kate will be important later on.
- Colin’s aunt Narelle is likely going to play a role in finding Troy’s killer, since she shares the family gift.
- This is likely just a coincidence, but funeral attendee Harper Smith shares the same last name as Yardley, Nathan’s love interest. Hmmm.
- Troy’s strength is building. Does this mean he’ll soon be able to talk to Colin?
- If Troy’s killer is at the funeral, that REALLY cuts down the suspect list (I think we can safely assume the new characters of Season 2 weren’t involved!) leaving us with Colin, Justine, Isobel, Quintin, Viv, Dave, Margie, Pat, Kobie, Hayden, Grace, Xavier, Ursula. Apparently Oscar was meant to make an appearance but the actor was unavailable.
I’ll leave a list of the suspects down below and whether or not I think they could have done it, but this is huge.
- I’d love to see more about Zara and what makes her tick. She’s one of the most interesting characters in Season 2, and that’s saying a lot.
- Will Maddie be able to tell Kobie what really happened to Faye? Or is she too young and traumatised by what she saw?
- For reasons I discussed last week, I firmly believe Brenda is a fraud.
- Now that Hayden and Colin are working together, what’s going to happen? Is Colin going to wind up in trouble with the law for taking matters into his own hands?
- Brad is off Dave’s payroll. And does his comment “I’ll be forced to tell (Zara) what you’ve been up to” mean more than just the drug dealing? Either way, Dave no longer has a shield to hide behind. This can’t end well.
- Why does Angela have this drinking problem? And what exactly is the nature of her relationship with her ex-husband?
- We see a softer side to Zara in this episode. Could her tough exterior merely be a coverup? And she’s a fan of tarot, so that could be a help or a hindrance.
- I believe there’s going to be some kind of revolt/escape attempt at the camp. Nathan should have no shortage of allies to help him, and what he’s already gone through is motivation enough, let alone his new roommate Daisy.
- Oscar is seeming less likely to have killed Troy. He sure is a coward, but his terror and denial seemed genuine. However, he’s a skilled liar.
- Faye has woken up. What does she remember?
Now, we must ask the question,
Who Killed Troy McLeavey?
- We know it can’t be Colin because he can see Troy, as the creators have confirmed.
- It can’t be Viv because she can see Troy and her severe disability makes it impossible.
- I highly doubt Isobel was involved because she’s so small. How could she possibly overpower Troy? Also, we know Troy’s killer can drive, and while Isobel may be a devious little brat, I highly doubt she can pull that one off.
- I don’t think it was Justine because of how distraught she is.
- As for Quintin, he’s done nothing to really alleviate my suspicion. He’s always been in trouble, according to Justine, and he’s not afraid to get his hands dirty. Could he have killed Troy? He certainly has the physical ability, the means and the opportunity. But he’s still Troy’s brother, so it’s not so simple.
- Ursula I’m honestly not sure about but from what we’ve seen of her, why would she do something that would rip her family apart?
- Hayden appears to be off the list. He loved Troy too much and the texts he sent indicate he wasn’t aware Troy was dead. Also, Colin is working with him, so Hayden seems unlikely.
- Unlikely to be Grace or Xavier. Grace found the body and why would Xavier suggest a tryst in the area where he dumped a body if he’d done it?
- It can’t be Faye. She’s pregnant.
- I REALLY hope it’s not Kobie because that would be an infuriatingly obvious solution, and so far the series has strongly hinted he wasn’t actively involved.
- It can’t be Nathan. He’s stuck at the camp, and honestly he just seems too gentle for that kind of violence. I know, I know, I’m biased because he’s my favourite character. But still!
- It can’t be Angela. She recognised Troy when she arrived at the crime scene.
- It can’t have been Simon. He was murdered by Troy’s killer and that would make for a phenomenally stupid way out.
- What motivation could Margie have for killing her son’s boyfriend? I never thought she was likely but appearances can be deceiving.
- Were the Keltys involved? They had a motivation, and the cutaway to Pat at Troy’s funeral when Narelle said Troy has unfinished business can’t mean nothing. Especially with what they’ve done to Nathan.
- Dave’s gang seem to have been in the area around the time Troy’s body was abandoned there.
- Brad might have been involved. We know he’s corrupt, and he seems genuinely concerned about Zara’s vow to change the local force.
- Leanne and Ryan have been acting very suspiciously throughout the series. They are firmly on the list of suspects. Is it possible Troy caught them together and he had to be silenced?
So, what do you think? Did I miss anything? Who do you think killed Troy? The answers are on the way, but there’s still time to speculate. Let me know in the comments, and watch out for my review of episode 4!